Grilling is a very popular method of cooking, and it is extremely popular among non-vegetarians. Grilled meats and fish are always preferred, and there are various devices available for grilling. However, charcoal grills are the most popular as they add a different taste to grilled food. If you want to go out of the kitchen and cook outdoors, you can opt for a portable charcoal grill. It is widely used during parties to serve guests freshly grilled items. Check out the top 10 best portable charcoal grills in 2023.
List of Top 10 Best Portable Charcoal Grills In 2023 – Reviews and Buying Guide
Weber Smokey Joe Portable Charcoal Grills
- Load up the car and hit the road with your Smokey Joe portable charcoal grill. Its durable, lightweight, compact design is perfect for grilling on the go - whether walking to the beach or taking a road trip. Make your holiday at the beach even more enjoyable with this Weber 14" Smokey Joe Charcoal Grill.
- Holds up to five burgers made with a Weber burger press
This portable charcoal grill has a simple yet stylish construction but comes with a large cooking surface. The cookware also has the capacity to hold up to five burgers with the help of a burger press. Moreover, the sturdy plated steel cooking grate of this grill efficiently locks down the heat for a longer time. The grate produces and circulates the heat uniformly for juicier and perfect smoky food items.
The adjustable dampers on the lid also help you to regulate the temperature of the cooking surface accordingly. Furthermore, the on-the-go grill comes with a porcelain-coated lid and bowl, which does the cleaning like a breeze.
- Large size and attractive design.
- Lightweight housing for easy transport.
- Easy temperature controls due to dampers.
- There are no cons at all.
Lodge Cast Iron Large Charcoal Grill
- The Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman's Pro Grill features a removable grill grate, and comes with a set of steel Hook & Carry Handles for a secure, safe grip when lifting or maneuvering the grill.
- Seasoned with 100% natural vegetable oil.
Derived from heavy-duty cast-iron material, the hibachi-style portable charcoal grill comes with two adjustable heights. The carry handle also allows you to carry the grill almost everywhere. Moreover, this charcoal grill is suitable for camping, patio, picnic, tailgating, and other outdoor activities. The cast-iron grill builds up and retains the heat for a longer time.
You also do not need to use excess charcoal, so you can easily cook food items with ease. Furthermore, the flip-down door on the side of the traditional-style grill allows you to add fuel or coals without any hassle. This long-lasting cookware is very much easy to clean.
- Classic design and safe materials.
- Adjustable height for user advantage.
- Flip-down door and extremely durable.
- The product is on the heavier side.
Weber Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill
- Holds up to 13 burgers made with a Weber burger press; Built-in lid thermometer. Rust-resistant aluminum dampers
- One-Touch cleaning system with high-capacity ash catcher provides hassle-free ash cleanup
This portable charcoal grill has a compact size and beautiful design, which makes this cooking unit very travel-friendly. With the help of two easy-gliding wheels, the grill also lets you move in from place to place with convenience. Moreover, the hinge mechanism of the grill lets you add charcoal with ease. The lid hook lets you hang the lid against the grill accordingly.
The cooking surface of this unit also has enough space to accommodate up to thirteen burgers. Furthermore, the porcelain-coated lid and bowl of the grill effectively retain the heat for a longer time. The grates are resistant to rust and peeling.
- Three color options and large size.
- Easy charcoal adding with hinged grate.
- Easy cleaning with an ash catcher.
- Some complaints about its tipping issue.
Char-Griller Kamado Charcoal Grill
- Triple-walled steel construction makes this grill fuel-efficient | Large 8" Locking Caster Wheels | Features Locking Lid, 2 folding black metal shelves, Easy dump ash pan, Double wall insulation & Heat gauge
- Product dimensions | 45” L x 31” W x 47” H | Weight – 97 lbs. | Temperature range – 200ᵒ F to 700ᵒ F | Total cook area – 447 Sq. In. | Recommended clearance – Min 3 Feet from side and rear, keep grill at least 15 feet away from any combustible material
The kamado-style charcoal grill comes with a primary cooking surface of a 314-square inch. The cooking surface also includes a 133-square-inch warming rack. Moreover, the locking lid allows you to carry it almost everywhere safely. The lid has a damper and a temperature gauge, so you can adjust the heat of the cooking grate accordingly.
The cart-style portable charcoal grill also involves the construction of steel material. Furthermore, the easy-rolling wheels come with construction of all-terrain rubber for hassle-free transportability. The cast-iron material construction of this grill comes along with a porcelain-coated grate to offer durability. The insulated design allows the unit to generate heat by using lesser charcoal.
- Cast iron structure for long-lasting use.
- Tubular wheels for easy rolling.
- Dual-wall insulation and locking lid.
- It takes time to get used to.
Weber Kettle Portable Charcoal Grills 22-Inch
- Stay true to the modern version of the kettle that started it all—the Original Kettle, invented by Weber’s founder, and loved around the world. Its ultra-durable, porcelain-enameled lid and bowl retain heat, while the damperseasily adjust for precise temperature control. With a One-Touch cleaning system for easy cleanup after a long day of grilling, the Original Kettle will always be the grill built for everyone
- Holds up to 13 burgers made with a Weber burger press
This portable charcoal grill comes along with plated steel cooking grates, so it can retain heat. The grates also offer even heating to deliver juicier grilled items. Moreover, the lid comes with dampers to control the heat of the cooking surface as per your need. The plated steel cooking grate makes this cooking unit extremely durable.
The grate also holds the heat evenly to deliver perfectly smoked and grilled food items every time. Furthermore, this grill comes along with a one-touch cleaning system, so you can clean the appliance without any difficulty. The grill has a pair of wheels for hassle-free transportability.
- Hassle-free cleaning for user advantage.
- Retains heat and is resistant to peeling.
- Easy controls and durable construction.
- The instructions are not clear.
Char-Griller Outlaw Charcoal Grill
- PREMIUM CHARCOAL GRILL - Barrel style Charcoal BBQ Grill & Smoker with heavy-duty steel construction and powder coating finish, perfect for high heat grilling and low and slow smoking
- XXL COOKING AREA - Massive 950 square inch total cooking area fits 38 burgers: 725 square inch primary cooking area with a 225 square inch warming rack
With a large cooking surface of a 1063-square inches, the portable charcoal grill has both a warming rack and a main grill. The professional-style cooking unit also involves the construction of heavy-duty steel material. Moreover, the double-bottom construction makes this unit extremely durable. This smoker-style grill has a wooden side panel and table to accommodate a few kitchen utensils and ingredients.
The cooking surface also comes along with cast-iron grates, so the grill retains the heat for a very long time. Furthermore, the sturdy grill has a storage rack under the grill to accommodate a few knickknacks for grilling. The lid-mounted temperature gauge comes along with an air-tight flanged hood to release the heat accordingly.
- Better heat control and adjustable fire grate.
- Attractive look and durable construction.
- Double bottom and heat gauge.
- The assembling instructions are not clean.
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
- Holds up to six burgers made with a Weber burger press
- Compact and lightweight for grilling on the go
The uniquely-crafted portable charcoal grill comes with beautifully curved steel legs to stand steadily on any surface. The cooking surface is also spacious enough to hold up to six burgers with the help of a burger press. Moreover, the grill has a cooking surface of a 160-square inch. This lightweight cooking unit comes with plated steel cooking grate to hold the heat for a longer time.
This on-the-go portable grill also comes with a porcelain-coated base and lid, so the unit does not get rusty. Furthermore, the lid comes with a pair of dampers, so you can adjust the heat of the grill as per your need.
- Retains heat porcelain enamel lid.
- Easy controls and durable cooking grate.
- Compact housing for easy storage.
- There are no cons to point out.
Portable Charcoal Grills by BEAU JARDIN
- PORTABLE CHARCOAL GRILL：Portable charcoal grills with dimension of 18 inch diameter by 24-inch high without lid. Durable 18 inch diameter of BBQ grill plated steel cooking grate provides ample cooking surface for any meal of your grilling. A perfect Go-anywhere kettle grill with two bowl handles and durable wheels for outdoor camping by getting your friends or family hovering around the grill, hungry for tempting charcoal flavor of burnt food. Screws and washers are in the bottom of the legs.
- PERFECT HEAT CONTROL&RETENTION: Rust-resistant adjustable aluminum air vent damper allows for heat control without hassle to lift the lid. Two handles of the cooking grate make you easy to lift it to add or adjusting charcoal. Heavy-duty durable plated steel charcoal grate design withstands the heat of any charcoal fire for a direct or indirect grilling with this charcoal grate. The round porcelain-enameled coating bowl and lid retains heat well to flow for even grilling.
Derived from heavy-duty steel material, the portable charcoal grill comes with robust porcelain coating to produce even heating. This cooking unit also supports stress-free assembly. Moreover, with the help of two long steel legs with rubberized caps, the grill stands steadily on any surface. The sturdy and easy-rolling wheels help you to glide on various terrains.
This BBQ grill also comes along with a wired storage rack at the bottom to keep a few kitchen utensils. Furthermore, the aluminum air-vent damper on the lid lets you control the heat of the cooking surface accordingly. The grill comes with a lid hanger to hang your lid as per your need.
- High performance with perfect heat control.
- Easy cleaning and smooth-rolling wheels.
- Hassle-free assembling and easy cleaning.
- There are too many parts to assemble.
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal Grill
- Travel with taste, or grill up a quick meal on your patio with the Jumbo Joe portable charcoal grill. The compact size with larger grilling area and convenient carry handle is perfect for any weekend getaway or spontaneous day at the beach. Combustion by-products produced when using this product contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
- Holds up to eight burgers made with a Weber burger press
This simple yet stylish portable charcoal grill comes with a compact lid with a carry handle for stress-free transportability. The lid also comes with inbuilt dampers, so you can regulate the heat of the cooking surface accordingly. Moreover, the cooking surface of this grill is large enough to accommodate up to eight burgers.
This lightweight cooking appliance is also very travel-friendly. So, you can carry this grill for camping and other outdoor activities. Furthermore, the porcelain-coated lid and bowl efficiently trap the heat for even and juicier grilling. The high-grade material construction prevents the grill from peeling or rusting.
- Compact design and easy temperature control.
- Double lock lid for better performance.
- Lid holder and high heat retention.
- There is no drawback to write about.
Char-Griller Charcoal Kamado Grill
- PORTABLE CHARCOAL GRILL - Kamado style Portable BBQ Grill & Smoker perfect for both high heat grilling and low-and-slow cooking
- GRILL ANYWHERE - Grilling on-the-go has never been easier thanks to the convenient handles and compact frame, perfect for tailgating, camping, barbecuing at the park, or at home in the backyard
With a cooking surface of a 153-square inches, this portable charcoal grill buildups uniform heating throughout the grill. The cooking equipment also consists of cast iron grates, so you can enjoy pure juicy, and smoky grilled items. Moreover, the inbuilt carry handle with a locking latch of the grill makes transportation convenient.
This kamado-style grill also adds enhanced flavor to the grilled foods. Furthermore, the cast-iron construction of this cooking unit retains the heat for a longer time. The ash tray at the bottom of the grill easily catches the ashes and supports convenient cleaning. This lightweight charcoal grill is suitable for RV, tailgating, camping, and other outdoor activities.
- Lightweight design and durable construction.
- Ashpan for easy cleaning.
- Dual air-flow dampers for better performance.
- The design is not very ergonomic.
Buying Guide for Portable Charcoal Grills
Here are the main factors to consider while buying a portable charcoal grill.
Size can be an important factor when you decide to have a charcoal grill. It must come in a convenient design and must have a lightweight structure so that you can take it anywhere you want. You can even see if it comes with handles or rolling casters that let you have a better advantage. Get one that lets you take it on a picnic, camping, beach, or RV.
Safety is vital in anything you do. You must always read the instructions before you use a charcoal grill. Always throw the ashes when they are free from fire or heat. For better safety, look for one that comes in a sturdy design. For better stability, see if it has a solid base.
If a portable charcoal grill comes with a temperature control option, then it will let you have better functionality. Check if it comes with a tight-fitting lid that can control the temperature when you use it. Some can directly include the adjustable feature, and you can easily increase or decrease the heat. You can even check if it comes with knobs for easy temperature adjustments.
The construction is an important thing that you will have to keep your mind. Go for the one that is made of high-quality materials so that it lasts longer. Select the one that is durable and lets you use it for a long time. Also, check the quality of the grates and then make your buy.
The other important thing that you need to see is the ash catcher. With it, you can easily use it in a clean way as it catches the ash. You can even check if it lets you dispose of the ash conveniently. For user advantage, you can check if it includes other accessories and includes a V-rack for easy grilling.
When it is warm outside, cooking inside the kitchen becomes extremely tough. That is when people love to cook outdoors like in the garden or patio, and a portable charcoal grill is tailor-made for such occasions. You can grill almost anything, starting from meats and fish to vegetables. You can even carry portable charcoal grills with you when you go out for adventure and camping.